Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ideas

I have several projects I am working on at the moment. There are a few group pieces in mind and a couple of solos as well. Without other people to work with during the summer, the solos are the easiest projects for me to focus on. I have cut music for some of the dances already and I am excited to get started. Inspiration is coming from everywhere at the moment. Everything inspires me, from my long distance relationship to a movie I have seen recently. As an artist, I really enjoy being able to discuss issues that I find important through my work. Movement is so powerful and I find it easier to express myself through movement. If I can influence just one person who watches one of my pieces, then that is all I need. I don’t want to give too much away before I really dig in, but I want to discuss a few of the pieces I am working on a little bit more.

One of my more whimsical ideas definitely has serious undertones. It is a piece about our vices. The vices range from drug abuse, to eating too much chocolate, and anything in between. It is a story of overindulgence told in a cute way. The movement is fun and carefree, with sections that feel a bit robotic, like a habit that you just can’t break. I am excited about the music for this one that I cut myself.

Another idea is a group piece that deals with serious issues. The music doesn’t match the intensity. It is about the “ideal” American couple, and how they aren’t ideal at all. It is a sad story about what goes on behind closed doors. The music is the polar opposite of the movement. The music has a relaxed, “life is good”, feel to it. The movement that I chose to combat that easy-going feeling is quite serious and slightly disturbing.

I will talk more about some of the solos I am working on in later posts. I am trying to take advantage of my time off this summer and get some good work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment